- General assignment reporter
Frequent contributor to The Philadelphia Inquirer, Obit Magazine, American Journalism Review, Wharton Magazine, Johns Hopkins Magazine. Other clients have included USA Today, NY Daily News, National Journal, US News and World Report, the University of Pennsylvania and The Spectator.
- General assignment reporter focusing on crime and its consequences.
- Sent to Iraq for two months in 2003, reported stories from around the country, including some written while embedded with the military.
- Dispatched to New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina, covered the storm and its aftermath.
- Covered three New Jersey municipalities during two year internship from 1995-1997.
- Researched and wrote book published by Temple University Press.
- Staff writer/Assistant suburban editor
- Covered the New Orleans Police Department, focusing on breaking news and features (City Desk, January 2000 to October 2002).
- Added editing shifts in March 2002, handling multiple stories each night.
- Covered government, general news and police in large suburban parish (East Jefferson bureau, March 1997 –January 2000).
Special Citation given to group of reporters for our work in Iraq.
Finalist in breaking news category for Hurricane Katrina coverage, American Society of Newspaper Editors 2005 contest. Work published in “Best Newspaper Writing,” 2006 edition.
Multiple honors – including first place awards – received from press associations in Pennsylvania and Louisiana.
Taught beginning journalism class
Spoke on covering war (2003) and natural disasters (2006).
- Appeared as an expert on television shows like “Nancy Grace,” CNN’s Headline News and C-SPAN’s Close-Up.
- Have given multiple interviews to local and national radio stations.
Master’s degree in Journalism
Bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing
University of Washington
- Named fellow in 2001, promoted to senior fellow in January 2002
- Spent three weeks working with traumatized journalists in South Africa in May 2002.
University of Maryland
- Completed a week-long fellowship on the effects of traumatic events on children with the University of Maryland-affiliated center in 2002.